Thursday, July 6, 2017

2017_07_06 Puyallup/Tacoma to Santa Barbara Trip (Leon Matz & Mike Smith) (Day 6)

Author:  Leon Matz

Port Orford to Crescent City CA. Day 6

With a small breakfast at a local diner we hit the road! The day started at about 47 degrees and low clouds and ended with low clouds and 57 degrees! We wore our coats most of the day.The low clouds and mist camouflaged the beautiful coastline but was a beauty of its own!  I would have preferred seeing the morning sun hitting to rocks and waves!
Before we both get on the bikes, we moan about being tired and sore; but once we get going, most of the pain flows away thank goodness! 
After 27 miles, we came to Gold Beach followed by a long climb!  It was not overly steep, 2.5 miles in all!
After the climb, we came upon 3 young ladies celebrating their graduation from U of Texas in Austin.  They were biking from Seattle to San Diego! They have been on the road for 2 weeks! They were fully loaded as they were camping their way south! What a terrific way to celebrate their achievement!!! They had wonderful smiles on their faces!

Coast as we're leaving Port Orford
Bridge to Gold Beach
Rocks disturbing the waves! Shortly after coming upon the 3 young ladies we saw this maze of drift wood that was sandwiched together on the beach!
Reminded me of the timbers blown down at Mt. St. Helens!
Wider view! Shortly later we came across the highest bridge in all of Oregon! Mike took to opportunity to see how long it would take for his pee to hit the beach below
Are there any cars coming?
The energized and optimistic Mike!
Are we there yet? 
I continued to have trouble dropping my chain when I shifted to the big chain ring! What a pain for Mike and me! Went to a bike shop in Crescent City, but he could not help me! Found out the guide for the front derailleur was worn through so I fabricated a cage from a plastic knife that I hope will work to minimize the problem! With glee, Mike and I stopped to take a picture as we entered California! Strange to think 6 days ago we were in Tacoma/Puyallup ! In the 6 days, we have now ridden 514 miles gained 22,268 ft, averaged 14.7 mph and burned 14,795 calories!  No wonder I am eating so much!  Six days ridden and 10 more to complete the trip (at least we hope)! I hope everyone is doing well! Excited to see the Redwoods tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment