Sunday, May 6, 2018

2018_05_05 Puyallup Cyclopaths': Kitsap Ride (Nick Iverson)

Les et al,

Thanks for organizing a great ride over the Narrows and up to Manchester.  As the tortoise of the group, I really appreciate the patience of the Cyclopaths, and the comaraderie.  On the return, Dwane T. suggested I return the reverse of the ride out, but staying with the group on the Cushman Powerline Trail was not necessary (I am, after all, a Cyclopath) and impossible for me to hang on the 10% grades, anyway.  I managed to get to the Trail, using Google Maps, but could not figure out which direction was North, South, East or West and went the wrong way.  After asking two sets of walkers, they were able to get me heading towards Gig Harbor.  About one half way, the Trail crosses a few roads, and my iPhone directions, “make a left, then right to continue on the Trail” did not take into account a paved easement also on the right that ultimately became a narrow gravel driveway, whereupon my cell phone yelled, “make a U turn (you idiot)!”  Looks like I went up Kauppala Lane in retrospect.  Having spent some serious matches climbing a gravel driveway, I gulped down half of my second Gatorade bottle’s fluid, ate a Zone bar in about 17 seconds and headed my “TREK Madone  temporary cross bike” down the treacherous descent.  (Dwane would have been proud!).  At the bottom I could see the REAL Trail only about 30 feet further down where I crossed, complete with a typical white post!  Ten minutes earlier the Trail looked to me too wide for a bike trail.  I chose the detour.  The hills on the Trail are not that bad for me, just slow and steady.  Once in Gig Harbor, I stopped to get refills for my empty water bottles, obtained very confusing directions from the clerk AND my iPhone, but headed the general direction of the “Bridge.”  In Gig Harbor a very nicely dressed, fit,  cyclist was coming toward me after I had asked two pedestrians how to get on the trail to cross the Narrows.  Sadly, one was visiting from out of state, and the other’s response was, “Um, I’m not sure.” Fortunately, the cyclist was heading to Tacoma‼️. I followed him at an excellent pace then thanked him for a speedy pull near the middle of the Narrows, as I wanted to take some pictures from the Bridge.  Those were the only pics all day.  DUH‼️

This was a wonderful day, even though I was overdressed and sweating.  The views were spectacular, and riding with the Puyallup Cyclopaths is a joy.  Thanks to all for the chance to share my cycling passion with some really wonderful “young men” (Mike and Leon, go ahead and laugh)  and for the organization of the ride.  Special thanks to Leon for looping back when I got dropped, Adam for pulling me along and of course for Les who organized this particular ride and then brought out the sun, and, of course, Mike Hassur, the Cyclopaths’ God Father....KUDOS. ‼️😎

Dr. Nick Iverson (retired 1/20/17)

1 comment: