Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Baker City Cycling Classic- Stage Race


Baker City Cycling Classic
2013
 
Author:  Conor Collins
 
Day One: the opening road race was 71.6 miles, with 3,000 feet of climbing. Scheduled to start at 2 PM, with a high temperature for the day to be 94 degrees... This was bound to be an interesting ride. The field was combined CAT 4 and CAT 5, with the addition of the masters categories, about a total of 60 starters. The race started off slowly with a nasty headwind. After about 20 miles, and a turn into a town called Powder, the road turned back towards Baker City, but with a much longer, hillier, and hotter route. The field was still largely together after the first "climb" and coming into the first, much needed, neutral feed/water zone. It wasn't yet apparent who would be my competition when the real climb arrived; however, that climb was waiting, and so was the fun of climbing it. After going through a really cool valley, riding right next to a creek, from which the road race got its name, Catherine Creek, the first of 3 major climbs was upon us. I decided to put it into the easiest gear, and spin up the pass. Next thing I know, the pack was gone, and one lone soul was tagging on my rear wheel. He told me to let up a bit to allow two others to tag on for the 20 miles we had to go to the finish.  This time I understood his reasoning, and the plan worked. Since I was using Junior gears, my down hill speeds could no where near compare to what they could do with normal gearing, thus drafting at 40MPH was the best I could do. A few roller climbs were enough to knock the 2 other riders off our 4 man group. Coming into the final climb, the temp was 95 as said by my Garmin. The land was so desolate, nothing, but burnt grass, rolling hills, and an outcropping of the Rocky Mountains in the far distance. No winds... Not yet... The heat, and absence of life... Other than the struggling rider, made the climb difficult. It was worse off for the guy behind me, all I could hear was him breathing. After we summited the final climb, a rapid decent, and BOOM, there was the wind. 100% of it in my face the final 3 kilometers to the finish. The wheel sucker was so pooped when he offered to pull, he wasn't even able to pass me.. This could have been a result of me not letting him pass, since we were so close to the finish I wasn't going to take a chance, or just a lack of energy. For what seemed a lot longer than 1.86 miles, I crossed the line first for the CAT 4/5s. A major shocker to the OBRA officials, and other riders. I won the leaders jersey, and $40
Finish of the 1st stage, 71.6 miles

Day Two: stage two, was a time trial. With my victory in stage one, I was awarded the position of last to go for the TT. Leaving at 9:20, the winds where beginning to pick up. I didn't realize why I was heading out going upwards of 27MPH average, until the U-turn came, and so did a wall of air. The return to town was brutal. Turns out the guys that wheel sucked me all the way to the finish the previous day were good at time trials, and beat me by over a minute... Along with some other guy, putting me in 3rd overall GC.

Day two, stage three, was a criterium, a simple L-shape loop around downtown, fast, flat, windy. Didn't make a difference in the GC, and I took it as more of a leg stretch.

Day Three: stage four, set to be the hardest of the 4 stages, and a challenging 101 miles with 4 major climbs. The race began at 8:55 am, when the temperature was a comfortable 75 degrees. Once the race began, the peloton was sluggish. The first 4 miles went very slow, averaging around 16 MPH (Very slow for 40 riders all together in a pack). Eventually, a rider from the back of the peloton attacked, and gained ground fast. Then another decided he'd had enough and joined the early attack. Once they began to gain more ground, I made the final decision, go after them. My reasoning, what do I have to lose? So, the race has began at mile 4 of 101 not the smartest of moves, very risky, but fun without a doubt. The group eventually grew to 4, and persisted to mile 15 with a 2-minute lead over the main group. Once we reached mile 15, and the first Climb I realized my first mistake none of the guys in the break could climb at least not fast enough to remain separate from the pack. I then decided to keep a neutral speed, and allow the other break away riders to catch, which never happened. The next 70 miles were very interesting. Solo riding during a 100-mile race, especially being solo at mile 17, is an interesting feeling. The real sense of being all alone during a race came when a follow car came up behind me. Thus I had gained enough ground to need both a lead, and follow vehicle. I was told my gap had grown to 3:30, coming into the second major climb. I was beginning to encounter riders that had been dropped from categories that left before us, such as the CAT 3s, and Masters 1,2,and 3s, and the occasional CAT 1-2. After about an hour of riding solo, the Lead/ follow cars began to offer me food and drinks. The final few climbs were quick, I continued to gain time on the pack with every hill that came, gaining 5:20 at my farthest point. Eventually, the climbing obstacles left me, and returned the flats With the help of other riders from my group, maintaining this gap might have been possible, without them it was a matter of time before the inevitable. The land went from being green, and filled with trees to once again, a desolate road with nothing to see but dead grass and dirt. To help my ever-losing solo break, the wind decided it was time to pick up, and blow right in my face. Soon enough the follow car pulled up next to me and said, the pack is 2 minutes back, Great here they come Soon enough the pack was over me, and the chasing was over. A Solid ~3 hours and 70 miles later, I was back in the pack, and ready to start the final climb to HELL. I was very tired, and in a state of mind to survive the climb, not race. In the end, I finished 5th overall in the GC, with an incredible 70 mile solo break Sure not successful in terms of winning the race, but an awesome experience. Overall, this was a great weekend of racing with many wins within itself. Highly recommend this race, it is challenging, and very well supported 


No comments:

Post a Comment