Thursday, July 25, 2013

2013_07_25 Conor Collins RAMROD Experience


Author:  Conor Collins

 
This was my first ever RAMROD, and first ever time winning a lottery.  The set up of the ride was similar to STP in that there was a range of starting times, and all shapes and sizes of bikes, riders, attitudes, etc.  There was one minor difference, the Photo ID required to pick up your packet (which reminded me of a USAC or OBRA race).

The day before the ride (Wednesday), I went to pick up my packet (similar to a race as well) and I was informed that I was the youngest rider this year in RAMROD… kind of surprising… yet 16 is still very young.   They went over the safety checklist, as well as the “allowed” speed within the park.  Another unique aspect of this “ride” was the “tracking” chip given to “track” the riders as we go.  The lady that handed me my packet was very straightforward that the chip is strictly for “tracking” NOT Timing…. We’ll see about that. Ha!

The next day came fast, just like STP, a very early morning with a 0330 wakeup call. Quick loading into the car, and heading up to Enumclaw for the start at 0500.  I had not planned on meeting up with anybody to ride the whole trip with, but Rod Hart said he would meet me in South Prairie and pull me out to Eatonville, before letting me loose…   I started at about 0505 thus having to pass about 150 people who left right at the 0500 start.  I quickly zoomed by the slower of the folks to a wide-open road.  Originally, Rod said he would be in South Prairie at 0515 - about the time it would take for me to get there… well… he was late.  I ended up sitting in the gas station parking lot for about 5-7 minutes before I saw a man with a fast TT bike coming off the hill - meanwhile… still no ROD.  The guy on the quick TT was approaching, and I decided to take my chance.  I quickly jumped on his wheel, and we sped away from the prairie at about 27 MPH.  The rest of the way to Eatonville was fast.  We would switch off leading about every 2 minutes and shared a few stories as well.  The first climb… into Eatonville, began to slow things down.  Climbing on a TT bike is terrible, especially when you still have over 100 miles left to ride.  He took his time as I went for the KOM on the hill.  We regrouped at the top, skipped the first food stop, and headed off towards Alder Lake.   About half way to Alder, we came across a racer whom was willing to help out and do a few pulls before arriving at Mountain Hwy.  Heading toward Elbe, we came across another fit rider making the attempt solo.  He hooked on to our group, and we began the final stretch toward Mt Rainier National Park… little did I know he was the guy I would ride 80 miles with to cross the line first. 

Our first stop in Ashford was a needed break.  We were approaching mile 75 and had caught the final major group left ahead of us.   We were home free for the mountain.  Sweeping in and out quickly, we began our approach on Paradise.  Once we entered the National Park the guy on the TT bike, and the rider we picked up right outside of Eatonville began to feel the pain in their legs.  Andrew (the guy we met right outside Elbe) and I were the two sole leaders of RAMROD 2013!  We zoomed up to almost every rest stop having to tell the volunteers that we were RAMROD riders since they were so surprised about our early arrival… Come to think about it… we arrived at the rest stop atop Cayuse Pass before it was even supposed to open.

The descent down Cayuse was fast, and the arrival at the Crystal Mt. rest stop (“The RAMROD Deli”) was even further ahead of schedule… once again surprising the helpers.  They quickly got us on our way.  We zoomed into Greenwater; and, finally, the “real” pain began to set in.  

The final approach into Enumclaw was tough.  As usual for RAMROD, it was into a headwind; and the thought of a chase group possibly catching us was making the journey seem endless.  

Riding the final few meters into the finish, the pain that I had been feeling seemed to subside (can’t speak for the other rider, however he did seem strong).   I rolled across the line in a total time of 7:58:40.

I enjoyed a nice cold drink and watched the 3rd finisher came across the line solo – 22 minutes later.  This confirmed that Andrew and I had a very solid lead on the rest of the riders in spite of our earlier concerns.

Overall, great ride, great people, and great views… however, the utter SILENCE (and fatigue) of climbing on the south side of Cayuse Pass with only one other person after 100 miles on the road, is an experience I hope you all get to “enjoy”?!

1 comment: