Monday, April 1, 2013

Maui Cycling Trip 2013: Haleakala Climb

Posted by Conor Collins

March 28th, 2013:

Haleakala as seen from Paia, Maui
            4:15 a.m. wake-up, go over the final checklist, and head out to the airport. We didn’t make it out of the house until 5:30; however, the drive to SeaTac is quick and easy. Once to the airport, now comes the trick of maneuvering the merciless bikebox through the crowded Alaskan Airlines ticket counters… that in the end was fairly easy. From then on, it was smooth sailing!   We arrived on the island about 30 minutes early, which gave the pilot time to do a small flyover of Maui; I managed to sneak a peek at Haleakala, and Oh My Gosh, that is one massive mountain!! After the bike was assembled, and I had some food in my belly, I was ready for a small “warm-up for Haleakala” ride. All I can say, is this is one amazing island!! The road was great, and climbing was amazing, I got 2,000 feet of elevation gain in 9 miles. The only downfall to leaving past noon was the 15+ MPH headwinds.

Haleakala Climb

Jason and I around 4,000 feet on Haleakala
     5:30 a.m. (Hawaii Time) wake up, and all I can hear is wind (yes, even louder than the 15+ I heard yesterday) and rain falling. Sunrise wasn’t until 6:20, and in Hawaii most of the rain is at night, so we decided to push the start time back to 7:30. Eventually, the clouds began to clear, and the most amazing view of my challenge appeared in the sky. After a quick breakfast, and changing into the cycling gear I was ready to rock!  Started off full of energy, and going about 15 MPH on a 5% grade. That didn’t last long, as the gods of Haleakala must have felt my presence, and ordered the wind to return. I found a fellow rider, wearing a Canadian uniform, his name was Jason Proche, and we stayed together, pushing each other about another 2500 feet up the mountain, after the first few switchbacks (there are a total of 31) he finally gave in to the pace, and fell back (he finished 10 minutes behind me at the end). From then on, I was on my own. Able to keep a fairly fast pace, and still enjoy the beauty of this magnificent island. At one point, I was able to look down about 7000 feet, to see the Pacific Ocean, and all the lush Hawaiian farmlands in between. From then, around mile 22, it began to get cloudy. The rain soon followed, which was actually fairly pleasant, and cooled my sweaty body.
The final 1,000 feet
The switchbacks began to get bigger the closer I got to the top. Every time I thought I was to the final stretch, I would look up, and see the stupid tour bus making another loop… at that point I was really anxious to get to the top. Finally my effort began to pay off, as I got the 9000-foot level. The road began creep above the clouds, and the sky was bright blue, and clear. With about 1,077 feet left in the climb, the only thing slowing me was the heavy wind… once again I give thanks to the Haleakala gods.
At the summit of Haleakala.
Elevation 10,023 feet.
(3055 meters)
Finally, I was able to spot the NASA observatories that mark the summit. I looked down at my Garmin and noticed I was approaching the 10,000-foot elevation level. Once I passed the visitors center parking lot, only about a quarter of a mile was left to go!! The only catch… its about 10-20% grade. Possibly the most painful, and exhausting part of the whole climb. The feeling, indescribable.  Once around the final corner, I saw the 10,000-foot elevation level marker, marking the end of the road!! Running off of some kind of energy… I’m not exactly sure what. I rode up the final walk to the very top, 10,023 feet. Looking off the southeast part of Haleakala, I was able to see the deep Blue pacific, 10,023 feet beneath me.
 After enjoying the climbing achievement it was time to head back. The weather turned into a terrible, wind/ rain mix with next to zero visibility. I decided to get a ride in the van down to Paia, and the hotel where we are staying. After a quick rest, and some Gelato from the corner shop, this day turned into    one for the record books!

1 comment:

  1. Great job, Conor. Thank you for sharing.

    Mike H

    ReplyDelete