Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Kona IRONMAN Triathlon bike Course


Posted by Conor Collins

     Beginning a little later than the Kaloko Climb, I met Penn at the Lava Java in downtown Kona at 6:45 a.m. We planned on riding to meet up with the Bike-Works Saturday group ride for the beginning on our ride to Hawi (the turn around point for the IRONMAN) to save our energy for the remaining miles that we would be alone. After about 30 miles, all of the Bike-Works riders had turned back. At mile 35 we came to the end of the Queen K Highway, from there we had about 18 miles to Hawi. Both of us were in need of more water, and some food. Penn and I decided to stop at a Deli and food mart alongside the road. After resupplying our food and water needs, we waited around for another fellow rider on his Time Trial bike. Apparently, he was planning on riding with us all the way to Hawi, but punctured his tire a ways back, and had to get it fixed.
     After about 5 minutes, he rolled up, and we quickly began to ride the remainder of the distance before the turn around point.  I was constantly checking our average speed, flying along the coast of the Big Island; we averaged about 20.5 MPH for the first 50 miles, putting us at about 2:24:45. That time is the fastest 50 miles I have ever done. On the flats our speed would remain around 23-24 MPH; however, there was a slight climb into Hawi, which lowered our average speed to around 20 MPH. The Northern part of the Big Island tends to get more rain, and be cloudy; to our benefit the clouds offered relief from the harsh sunlight along the Queen K highway.
     Once we reached Hawi, we quickly did a U-turn in the road, where the IRONMAN turnaround post was set. The ride back to the food mart was fast. With the majority being downhill, we were cruising at about 30 MPH down the highway. Around mile 70 we reached the food mart, and stopped once again to replenish our food and water. I decided a sugary Snickers bar, and some ice in my water pack would be good enough to get me back to Kona. Having 70 speedy miles on my legs, it took about 30 minutes to get warmed up once more after leaving the rest stop. As expected, to add to the leg pain, the wind on Queen K highway had begun to pick up. Surprisingly, my energy levels began to rise, and I was feeling very strong.
As the tensions began to raise the closer we got to Kona, so did our speed. Our average speed reached 21-22 MPH. I convinced myself I could power through the remaining 9 miles to the finish, crossing the 100 mile mark 16 minutes under 5 hours, that was the fastest 100 miles I had ever done… by over 50 minutes… Our speed was still rising the closer we got to Kona, about 5 miles out, we were cruising along at about 25-27 MPH (I blame the speed increase on myself) I could tell Penn and Sean, the guy on the time trial bike, were in pain. Sean decided to recover the last 2 miles into town, so Penn and I continued our pursuit to the finish. Finally, Penn gave into the pace, and decided to fall back. That was what I was waiting for, payback for leaving me on Kaloko climb. We then coasted into a small parking lot with a water faucet. Penn drenched himself in water, before continuing back along Ali’i Drive.
     My final distance was 109 miles, with an average speed of 21 MPH. Incredible ride that closed an incredible trip, to quite possibly the most incredible Island on Earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment