Tuesday, September 19, 2023

2023-09-09: Les Becker's LOTOJA 2023 Experience

 LoToJa 2023


When I first heard about LoToJa, the ride from Logan, Utah to Jackson, Wyoming, it was intriguing, but in my mind was a non-starter due to the magnitude. It is 207 miles long with 8,800 feet of climbing, like a RAMROD and STP combined. But as I have done more riding in Utah and meeting other riders here, I have learned that it is the iconic ride of the area. It began in 1983 when two riders in Logan wanted a race that resembled the difficult European classics. One of them was the owner of Sunrise Cyclery in Logan and the starting line is still in front of that shop. I think he is still the owner. So it grew in popularity and now it is a USAC-sanctioned race for about half of the 1500 participants and the rest are Cyclosportive riders, like me, distributed into age categories. As the web site states “Cyclists must conquer three mountain passes as they pedal through scenic terrain in Utah, Idaho and Wyoming en route to a finish line below the rugged Tetons at the base of Jackson Hole Mountain Resort.”

 

Sunrise Cyclery, Logan, UT

Two years ago I began to wonder if I could possibly do this massive ride. There were many challenges to consider. Conditioning was just one. Also, they recommend personal support crews to meet their riders at the feed zones for quick hand-offs of food and drink. I didn’t have this and didn’t know if the neutral support tables would be adequate/efficient. Also, how do I return to Logan after finishing? There is no shuttle. And would this ride fit with my family’s schedule for being in Utah? After much contemplation, I pulled the trigger and began training and planning in 2022 for the event which is always the first Saturday after Labor Day. I planned on RAMROD and Rainiering to be good training rides for LoToJa, and preparation was progressing. Unfortunately, I cra***ed on RAMROD sustaining a couple stable pelvic fractures. Those healed uneventfully but the really awful neck, hip and back pains, which were largely an activation of existing arthritis took a lot of time and PT for recovery. It was two months before I could ride again and then I wasn’t sure if I would ever become flexible and pain-free enough on the bike to ride intensely. Through the winter I slowly improved and began Cyclopath riding again in early 2023. I saw a podiatrist for my Morton’s Neuroma in my right foot and got good inserts and bought wider bike shoes. My dry eye syndrome sometimes stings to degree that I have to stop my bike and apply drops. I saw an ophthalmologist, got some good advice and prescription drops. And my conditioning began to improve. So, hey, should I try LoToJa again this year? I sent in the registration fee again (prior fee non-refundable/non-forwardable…ugh) and began preparing. Then, in April, a large pick-up truck rear ended Cindy, reactivating severe low back pain that had been treated with major back surgery a few years ago. So the pain and anxiety with driving, especially unfamiliar mountain roads, prevented her from picking me up at the finish line in Jackson. So LoToJa became just a dream, not to be. But I kept riding just because it’s fun. Then our daughter, Molly, who lives in Utah, offered she and our grandson, Carter to be the driver and pick me up in Jackson. It would also give them some time looking around Jackson and seeing this stunning outdoor scenery. Hooray, back on schedule. I just felt bad that Cindy wouldn't be waiting at the finish line for me as she so wanted. In August, the 10,000 feet ride with Mike and Rainiering ride with Mike and Tom Gorczynski were key to getting me ready for the climbs in the Rockies. Conversations with riders I've met in the SLC area were helpful. And Rob Critchfield happened to be in Utah visiting family so was able to meet with me a week prior and gave me a detailed review of the ride as he had experienced riding it several times in the past. That was very helpful also.


                                                                   Me at start line.


Standing at the start line in Logan at dawn on September 9th with hundreds of other riders gave me nervous anticipation. Waiting to be called into the chute with my ride category, I realized that any one of the many obstacles during planning and training that I dealt with could have brought this whole endeavor to an end. I felt an overwhelming peace that all these issues had worked out to get me here, especially the people close to me who helped so much. In a sense, I’d already met my goal, just to be placed here with this opportunity. My Garmin read 52 deg suggesting I should have worn long sleeve base, but I didn’t feel cold, so was wearing short base, short sleeve jersey & arm warmers with vest in pocket just in case. Our 65+ group of about 15 was released into neutral roll-out at 7:02. I anticipated a slow pace with these “old guys.” Wrong, the paceline was sometimes uncomfortably fast. Soon it evolved into a longer paceline; not sure where the others came from, but seemed loose with mini gaps so I stayed in front 10 or so just to prevent being gapped & dropped. That meant I did at least my share of pulls. Arrived at Preston, at 47 miles and rode past the feed zone as planned without stopping. A few big rollers lead to the long  2600 foot climb up through Idaho wilderness to Strawberry Pass. This was the largest climb of the ride, but the grade was typically 4-5%. This was not stressful especially since my last training rides involved a lot of 10% around Sandy, Utah. On the descent I grabbed onto a group of 4 racers (I think cat 4 racers who dropped off their group drifted back) who went really fast downhill, then into rollers. I got tired so dropped off. Was probably a mistake as I had to ride a lot of solo after that into Montpelier.

 

This was my first food stop and where I had a drop bag sent. I emptied my pockets and drop bag into a pile and put all the Nature’s Bakery bars into the drop bag to be sent to the finish since I was finding them hard to swallow with a dry mouth with the temps now in upper 70’s. I put all the Quaker 100cal bars and gel packs, ones I brought and ones from the food table, into my pockets. Another good decision. Traffic control was superb and somewhere past Montpelier after approximately 80 miles was the first time I had to pause for a stop sign or signal light. Soon I was riding up Geneva Summit, a 1,000 ft climb. Next was the last and toughest climb, 1400 ft up Salt River Pass, elevation 7630 ft which had plenty of 8% grade in unshielded  80 deg sun. I passed a number of struggling riders here. When I heard heavy breathing and saw a vacant agonized, look on their face I would ask if they were OK. This reminded me of Cayuse Pass. It then dropped down to the town of Afton and a feed zone. I don’t recall stopping there, but I must have picked up some more gel packs. What followed was my least favorite section of LoToJa. The 34 miles to Alpine followed US 89 through Star Valley, rural nondescript agricultural land with many trucks and farm related businesses along the very straight busy highway, with jarring rumble strips in places. I rode a guy’s wheel for about half of this and solo’d into cross winds the rest of it.

 

A few general notes. Starting temp was 52 deg but didn’t feel real cold so I bravely wore just short sleeve base with short sleeve Cyclopath Jersey, vest and arm warmers. This was a good choice and I ditched the arm warmers & vest in the drop bag in Montpelier. Subsequently almost over-heated in 80 deg on Salt River Pass but crested the top just before got in trouble. Regarding food, I mentioned dry mouth and settling on just Quaker bars and gels. I resupplied a few times with Hammer gel packs from feed zones.. Hydration included a couple bottles of Skratch from small packets I carried but was mostly Hammer Heed from feed zones and I didn’t cramp. I did see many of the racers and two or three times I fell into a group, usually drafting from the back so not to interfere. I’m not sure where they came from as I thought they were all released prior to me, but probably some cat 5’s had drifted back.

 




Just prior to rolling into Alpine, Molly texted me saying she was driving back to Alpine from Jackson. At the time I couldn’t respond without losing a wheel. Did she think I was done in and needed a ride? Forty-seven miles separated me from the finish line, but I felt quite up to it and when I got to Alpine called Molly with my intentions. After grabbing some hydration and gel packs from the neutral feed, I headed out of town and soon saw Molly & Carter waving at me from a roadside parking area. It was quite reassuring as they cheered me on. From here the terrain changed dramatically into pure majestic wilderness. The Snake River was in a deep gorge below and tall forested or rocky peaks on both sides gave shady relief. The two-lane winding highway had new, smooth pavement with ample shoulders, although the traffic was sparse. From here on, the grade was gentle uphill with some level. Most of this I rode solo and the bike rolled at a good clip without too much effort. Molly & Carter pulled over at a couple viewpoints overlooking the river and cheered me again as I rode by. I was so thankful for their support. This was the most enjoyable, rewarding part of the ride for me. Then about 8 miles from the finish, a volunteer support person was handing out bottles of Coke on the fly and of course I grabbed one. But that was a mistake since I really couldn’t drink Coke while riding and half of it ended up as a sticky mess on my cockpit. A brief view of the Tetons presented itself on the final stretch toward Teton Village, the finish line. By then I was in a group of equally satisfied riders with lots of spirited chatting. Crossing under the finish arch, I almost wished it wasn’t over. Total ride time 12 hr, 44 min which was 4th out of the cumulative 21 riders in groups of 55+ yrs and up. Goal accomplished.










Reflections after a ride like this always involve analysis of whether and where I went too fast or too slow. I never felt totally spent like happens on RAMROD, so perhaps could have gone faster. Bottom line, though, is I really enjoyed this very well organized ride and finished before dark, so was a success.

 

Safe riding,

Les

No comments:

Post a Comment