Sunday, June 2, 2019

Skate Creek Loop Photo Post -- by Dwaine

This year's Skate Creek Loop ride did not include two members of the Cyclopath founding team. Les was out of town. This was not a surprise. But Leon's 'phone in sick' email was a major disappointment. These riders were missed and we did our best to maintain proper Cyclopath traditions despite their temporary absences.
Early on during the first climb I asked riders to 'wave to Leon' as they faced the camera. It was my intention to post these photos in this blog post and make sure Leon knew he was missed. As Nick climbed past me he was happy to oblige.

Most of the day's crew had climbed to Paradise at least once. I wanted to share some scenic images and realized that Cyclopaths typically climb to Paradise with their gaze looking forward up the road and up the mountain. This image at the Nisqually bridge was taken looking backwards. A lone Cyclopath is just barely visible as he exits a the dark tunnel of trees and gets his first up close look at the mountain.

Certain views of Mount Rainier fill me with awe. This section of road has been a constant attraction to my photographic eye and I asked riders for a subtle clue that we were all thinking of our absent team mates. Adam's day started extra early, he had already visited Paradise once before the official ride started, yet he still had the energy to climb ahead and 'work it' for the camera at my request.

My chosen photo op was near the end of our climb to Paradise. The long climb had taken it's toll on rider's legs and the group strung out a bit. The gap between riders gave me the opportunity to change my camera's perspective a bit. Although the rider doesn't (yet) wear a Cyclopath jersey, this photo might be my favorite.

This is Scott. He works in mysterious ways. What else can be said?

As the 'story-telling-photog' I often want to capture the emotion on each rider's face as they summit. I hurriedly cajoled these riders into a group for a quick photo hoping to capture those facial expressions.

Just a few minutes later we gathered ourselves up, straightened jerseys, and asked a Californian climber to snap this lovely image.I also chatted with him for a few minutes. He explained his itinerary and as I compose this blog post on Sunday morning he is on his way or at the summit of Mount Rainier.


At reflection lake Nick and I joked about the the 'L' described by the lyrics in the song 'All Star'. We thought this was a little too edgy for a group photo but that didn't stop us from creating our own version. Les, Leon, this silly photo is for you. My thanks go to Nick for snapping and sharing the photo.
At the top of Backbone Pass we regrouped. The view was spectacular as usual. 

The stop in Packwood is a dichotomy for the Skate Creek Loop route. The shade, cool drinks, and rest are a welcome relief from the fast and hot paceline riding down the shoulder of Hiway 12. And the right turn onto the route's namesake, Skate Creek Road, signals the end of the cooperative riding and the beginning of the gun fight. Mike and Nick wisely took as much rest and hydration as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment