Tuesday, July 31, 2018

RAMROD 2018: David Crawford's Account

Author:  David Crawford


I had never done ramrod before this year, but I have done enough hard rides with the Cyclopaths to know what to expect. I knew it would be a difficult ride and I was planning on trying to be in the top 5 to 10 finishers. I knew the biggest hurdle would be the climb over Cayuse. I would need to conserve as much energy as possible up to that point and then be prepared to suffer until the finish.

At that the start it was still dark and dawn was approaching. I met a few other Cyclopaths at the start line. Scott W was planning on starting at 5, as I was. I also saw John and Les, but they were going to be starting a little later. So I started off with Scott and a few other riders. The group got larger as we continued and we were making good time down through South Prairie into Orting. Then along Orville road through Kapowsin and finally into Eatonville. We were in a fairly large group by the time we reached Meridian and I went hard up the first short climb into Eatonville and was riding solo after that. I passed the first water stop and continued out of Eatonville up the climb on Alder Lake Cutoff Rd. A small group of riders caught me on the climb so I upped my pace to match them. They soon slowed and I had dropped them and I was riding alone again. Once I reached highway 7 I slowed my pace to allow the group behind me to catch up, so that we could get a good pace line going. We started with about 5 guys and we were going well, caught a few riders and soon the group was up to about 10. With the slight incline and nice pace we dropped some of the guys and by the time we reached the food stop we were back to 5.

I spent more time at that stop than I wanted but I was going to try and stick with the same guys. It always makes a ride a little easier when you are in a group. They were leaving when I saw Scott W pull in. I was able to chat with him and he wasn't stopping long so we left the food stop together. Once we reached the park entrance I could see the guys I had previously been riding with in front of me. I was able to tempo back up to them, being in a paceline even on a climb does help. By the time we passed Longmire one of the guys upped the pace, I matched him and when he came off the front I saw we had dropped the other three riders and he was dropping back as well. I felt comfortable with my pace, so I just kept going. I would be pretty much be riding solo from here to the finish. I kept the same pace up to Inspiration Point, passing a few more riders along the way, where I briefly stopped to refill my bottles. And on I continued. The descent and spectacular views through Stevens Canyon is my favorite part of the ride.

2018 RAMROD
David finishing 2nd overall
After a short climb up Backbone Ridge, I descended to the Stevens Canyon entrance and headed towards Cayuse. I was feeling good up to this point in the ride, but I knew once I started up Cayuse it was going to hurt. I was not disappointed. As I was climbing Cayuse I could see a blinking red light ahead of me. Another rider. I was slowly gaining ground on him until I eventually passed him. I was completely ignoring my HR by this point because it was higher than I wanted and with the increasing temperatures there was nothing I could do about that. I reached the top of Cayuse, which felt like forever, and after topping off my water began my descent. Once I had completed the descent I started the long grind back to Enumclaw. I had no idea how many people were in front of me or how close anyone was behind me. With the nonstop heat blasting headwind, I was half expecting a group to catch me. This is really the part of the ride where having multiple riders together can make a big impact. I would've welcomed being caught, but as it was, I had to grind the miles out, watching my Garmin slowly tick always the tenths of miles, counting down until I would reach the finish. 

Finally, the Mud Mountain Road turnoff. My water bottles were long empty, but I knew I would get a little break on the Mud Mountain downhill. The road is somewhat rough, and I went down as fast as my nerves would let me. Once at the bottom it was the home stretch and I felt a renewed strength as I completed the ride and finally passed under the finish line. They told me I was the second rider to come in. I rested a bit, had some liquids and an ice cream bar. I was going to wait around to meet up with some of the other Cyclopaths but to be honest, with the heat, I was ready to just head home.

1 comment: