Thursday, August 3, 2017

Official RAMROD 2017

Author - Les Becker

Scott Wagar and I made it into RAMROD off the wait list and were eager to ride this together. We did not intend to make this a hard driving personal best (or did I miss that in discussion?) But he likes to start early so we were at the start line in dawn light at 5:00 am. As we left Thunder Mountain Middle School, we were careful not to miss the first turn 1 block from the start as we did last year. It was 62 deg and felt cool in the overcast and sometimes misty air, almost wet. The pacelines as usual were large but seemed to be constantly splitting and joining into new groups. So when a gap appears few riders in front, we have 2 choices. Stay content in our group which will inevitably enlarge with added riders. Alternatively, you can jump out "burn some matches" and bridge the gap, which sometimes has gotten quite large before realizing what is happening. Scott consistently chose the latter. And I tried to help. This plus skipping the Eatonville rest stop put us at the photographer just out of Eatonville in #5 position. We didn't get much help to the Wildwood rest stop although Scott continued to ride strong and I had to drop back just before Ashford when a group joined us but going too fast for me. There were a total of 3 bikes hanging on the bike racks when we arrived and a few other riders walking their bikes around. Unfortunately my rear shifting was not working well so had to spend some time with the mechanic there. He made it work better and was adequate for the rest of the ride.

We saw Conor Collins at the Kautz Creek rest stop waiting for Leon and Adam. Just to shout greetings back & forth as we rode by was encouraging. But not enough to keep me in Scott's company as he rode very strong up above Longmire. Although I couldn't see him when I reached the high point at Inspiration Point, the photo sequence showed that I was the next rider after Scott. Looked like we were #'s 14 and 16 at that point. I sat up and ate some food anticipating help from behind for the long descent down Stevens Canyon, but it didn't come so I pedaled most of the way down. Turns out Scott descended alone also. He was at the Box Canyon rest stop when I arrived but was ready to leave. As I gathered some food, shed some clothes due to rising temperatures, and used the facilities, I assumed I wouldn't see Scott again. Backbone ridge required work but is not really a pass so I tried not to think about my tired legs.

Finally got to base of Cayuse with couple other nice riders. Cayuse never disappoints. Temp rose nearly to 80, sun beating down, legs begging me to stop and even cramping near the top. I did join Scott just before the top so we crested the pass together. Leon and Adam had passed me when I was at the Box Canyon rest stop but they stopped at the White River turnoff to refuel from Conor's car once more so Scott and I approached them from behind as we reached the RAMROD cafe cutoff and waved and shouted encouragement as they continued on. We stopped, Scott mainly for the sandwich and me mainly for cold Coke.

The expected headwind heading back on hiway 410 was as strong as I ever remembered. Was starting to bend the trees. We rode comfortably, waiting for the inevitable help from behind. Sure enough, two good riders came from behind and rode strong at a pace comfortable for Scott and I. A fifth also joined us. He was a friendly fellow we had met 2 and a half weeks previous at Chinook pass when our Cyclopath group met and chatted with his group from Seattle. So we were an efficient, well matched group; just what I want for the long ride back to Enumclaw. Then few miles out of Greenwater, drat!, flat tire. It's impressive when standing still, how fast a coordinated paceline rapidly disappears up the road. But as motion stopped, and quiet solitude enveloped me I felt good about the ride and what I had been a part of. Then quickly fixed the flat, headed out alone and soon there appeared a paceline of about six. As he rode by, the lead rider said "hook on if you like", and I'm thinking I certainly will!  This also was a wonderful group to ride with and we crossed the finish line together. I was pleased with my total ride time of 9 hr 42 minutes. Scott had finished about 13 minutes before, having won the mass sprint in his group that had enlarged to about 15 riders. Way to go Scott! According to the photos, looks like he finished #22 and me #39 (800 total riders). What a terrific feeling having finished another successful RAMROD. Ready to go again next year!


Scott on right and me on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment