Thursday, June 29, 2017

2017_06_29 Puyallup/Tacoma to Santa Barbara Trip (Leon Matz & Mike Smith)

Author:  Leon Matz
Here I am 36 hours away from starting our bike trip from Puyallup/Tacoma to Santa Barbara! 
Mike Smith is my companion on this 1,400 mile trip! Mike and I were tennis friends starting when I was 17! Here we are 50 years later teaming up to take on an adventure different from all my other explorations. Our plan is to ride 80-95 miles a day for 16 days and meet up with a long time Puyallup Cyclopath Wayne DuPont! 
As with most adventures I am experiencing excitement and nervousness! Can our bodies handle this kind of daily abuse with no days of rest! The Pacific Coast route follows highway 1 and 101 and hugs the coast most of the way.
My bike fully loaded and hopefully ready for the trek to Santa Barbara.
The bags stuffed with everything we hopefully will need for the trip! 
Mike and I have had a many discussions about what we need! There are number of other things that I would like to have but have run out of room. Many cyclists ride this route each year but most cover a smaller number of miles each day and with periodic rest days! By staying in Motels and Hostels we hope to be able to cover the distance more quickly ! Originally we were going to do it in 15 days but s bridge washout and landslide near Big Sur is forcing us to reroute out trip and ride an extra 70 miles or so! I hope to daily write a blog to keep those of you that have expressed interest in following our adventure ! Excited to see the beautiful Pacific Coast and the physical and mental challenge that will come our way! Please keep Mike and I in your thoughts and prayers! Leon.

No comments:

Post a Comment