Monday, August 1, 2016

RAMROD 2016 (Kurt Maute's Account)

Author:  Kurt Maute

On the eve of RAMROD 2016, I called Les Becker to see if there was a plan for the Puyallup Cyclopaths team for the next morning.  He indicated that most of the team was planning to arrive at Thunder Mountain Middle School by 5:00 am and be off by 5:15 am.  I searched Google Maps for the location and sent it to my phone so I would have it ready the next morning.  I awoke by 4:00 am on the next day and set off by 4:30 thinking I would be able to arrive by the 5:00 am time.  Apparently Google Maps got confused (or more likely I did) and ended up asking a police officer for the final directions.  I arrived at the school entrance just after 5:00 and they told me to head to the Shriner’s  Lodge down the road for parking.  That lot was full so I ended up parking in a nearby neighborhood.  Getting off the a bad start, I put on my kit and filled my pockets and arrived back to pick my packet up at about 5:15.  Having received the package I now needed to commute back to my car to drop off parts of the packet and the complimentary RAMROD 2016 tee shirt. 

I finally departed the start line at 5:40 am and was on my way alone but feeling pretty good as I didn’t have to try to catch anyone.  The first 35 miles or so went by quickly and soon I was in Eatonville to dine on some really bad scones (one rider commented they must have been left over from last year J).  Having learned a lesson from last year, I didn’t stay too long and was soon on my way to Ashford.  Along the way I thought of the many times I have ridden parts of this ride with my fellow Cyclopaths which was comforting. I hooked up with a larger groups that accepted me which helped to pass the time reading the back of fellow cyclist jerseys to glean a bit about their experiences...  I was passed by No. 174 who told me we are similar in age and I thought, how would he know that.. but quickly recalled that your number is based on your age and I was No. 161 which makes me 59 this month.  Anyway I began to look at various riders numbers thinking I’m part of the top 20% age-wise which provided a bit of solace as most riders were younger than me so they should be passing me…

I arrived at the Ashford stop and took in fluids, fruit and an energy bar.  I hit the restroom and refilled my bottles and was off some 12 – 15 minutes later…  Once you enter the park there was a timing bar where they also check to make sure you have a visible flasher on you or your bike.  I got to thinking that I had forgotten my RFID tag which I usually attach to my helmet but in my shuffle to and from my car that morning I had forgotten to attach it so I would have to rely on my Garmin which I charged the day before so it would hopefully last the remainder of the ride (which it did).  The Ashford entrance to the park is by far my favorite with old growth forest and a gentle winding climb under shade and among slow moving cars.  Riding up Paradise seemed longer than I remember and toward the end I was starting to get the dreaded Hot Foot…  Having finally summited, I stopped to rest a bit before heading down through Steven's Canyon… one of my favorite ride sections with 35+ mph no problem and no passing cars to worry about.  I stopped briefly at the top of Backbone Ridge or whatever that summit is called to get more water and rest before descending on another of my favorites…down the ridge with newly paved road to enjoy. Heading up Cayuse Pass I had arrived at this part of the ride 1.5 hours earlier than last year which paid big dividends with more shade and lower temperatures – still hot mind you but more doable and not as much Hot Foot... 

I arrived at the Crystal Mt. stop where deli sandwiches are available and was quickly greeted by a friend from Boeing named Russell Tom who had volunteered along with his wife who prepared my meal.  It was great seeing him and meeting his lovely wife.  After I had pretty much finished, Mario greeted me and we had a chance to catch up as he was apparently just a few minutes ahead of me.  He indicated that he was riding with some very fit riders and would be headed out soon.  We said our goodbyes and, as I later departed, there was Mario and his friend that would contribute significantly to the 37 mile ride back to Enumclaw.  It was great to hook up with them and the ride when by quickly going 23 – 28 mph most of the way.  About half way thru Mario got dropped and I proceeded riding with his friend most of the way back until the final 8 miles where I too decided the pace was too much…  I finished the final 5 miles and began cramping likely from lack of fluids as I was hesitant to sip for fear of losing my ride so to speak…  I finished the ride at about 4:20 pm which worked out to total time of about 10 hours and 40 minutes (ride time was about 9:20 hours or thereabouts).  Total time was an hour and a half off of last years’ time – a pretty good effort.  As I was coordinating with the organizers to advise them I had forgotten to attach my RFID, Mario came across the line just shortly after my finish…  The ride home was rather unpleasant as traffic was at a standstill and various parts of my body began to cramp including my fingers and toes….  At home I would later take in much needed fluids (2x32 oz. Gatorade) and potassium supplements. 

All-in-all I great ride and another lesson to take in more fluids that last stretch…

No comments:

Post a Comment