Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Nebraska Cornhusker Cycling  10/25/2013.... by Brent Moody

Been a while since I posted, this is a little behind. Been a tough few months for riding as not that I mind cold, its the WIND that's been so tough. Started in Nebraska and has followed me thru Kansas and into New Mexico.

I was happy to be home in Nebraska, great time of year, my family, friends, some bird hunting, cycling/running, and of course Nebraska Football! First stop was in Lexington, Nebraska. A small farm city in Nebraska, located along the Platte River and Interstate 80. My wife and I decided to stay here first, as this was central to a lot of activities we had planned the first 10 days in Nebraska. We are "Vegabonds" as Mike put in, traveling in our RV thru-out the U.S.

 First thing arriving in Lexington, time for a run with my dog, hes a German Shorthair, named Sausage... haha, goes back to when Seahawks went to Super Bowl, Bud Light commercial, look it up. We, dog and I,  went out to check the local gravel roads; scared up some pheasants, saw some deer, really enjoyed the local quiet prairie.
We had many great runs in Nebraska, as running is my dogs favorite pastime. We ran all over the state, sometimes feeling like Forrest Gump, even running in some of my old stomping grounds in high school, Ansley ,NE. Very middle of the state.


Next day, decided to take my XC Bike out, and hit the dirt and gravel roads. Lots of wind, started this day, and I took off riding thru the farmland, deciding to get in about 40 miles. I would imagine most of the farmers out there are not used to seeing cyclist in Oct/Nov, as I did get a few interesting looks. I took a big loop, riding gravel roads 33 of those 40 miles, which were tough roads, a lot of washouts. I really enjoyed my time and was really surprised by what seemed like a monster creeping up on me so fast... Check out the video! LOL


Next Stop, was Lincoln, NE. one of my favorite places! We found a great place on the north end of Lincoln, great spot for heading out running our cycling. Weather was great, just windy... not many cyclist or runners out, so I must have been one of the few crazy ones. I think the week I was there I got a bike ride or run in everyday. Been really feeling good on the run, as I had taken a lot of the year off running, concentrating on cycling. I had a really enjoyable ride within the City of Lincoln, about 30 miles.  If you ever get a chance to visit, check out the cycling paths. They have dedicated paths that you can about cycle thru out the entire city of Lincoln. Some of my favorite pics.

To cap off a great 3 weeks in Nebraska, whether your a Cornhusker fan or not, you have to go to a Big Red Football Game. First time of my wife Jen, to attend a Cornhusker Football game in Lincoln, nothing like it anywhere. Nebraska was playing Northwestern, which, if you follow football, Nebraska won in the final seconds with a Hail Mary pass to the end zone.

What an incredible time! I have cycled Nebraska many times, so if you ever want to get away, there are many great places to cycle in Nebraska, the myth is not true about being flat and nothing to see. Usually June has a great cycling event, BRAN (Bike Ride Across Nebraska), 6 days and roughly 450 miles of fun!

I will post again later this week or next, as off to Southern New Mexico for a month, trying to escape the artic temps and get some Mountain Riding in!


No comments:

Post a Comment