Sunday, September 29, 2013

2013_09_22 Cyclocross Race (Dwaine Trummert's Short Account)

Author:  Dwaine Trummert

** REPLY TO LES BECKER'S EMAIL ASKING HOW THE RACE WENT **

Hi Les,

Thanks for the kind words.

I can't comment on the CX world's reaction to my race finishes. I don't
expect much. If I were placing in the cat 1/2 race that might be different.

This race was a bunch tougher than the last. In the power sections of the
course I was falling out of the lead group of 5. I'd close the gap in the
technical sections but it was clear I was outgunned in this group. I was
running fifth half way through the last lap and didn't feel like I'd be
visiting the podium. Then the guy in fourth stepped off in an off camber
corner which allowed me to get just a little closer to the front. When we
exited that technical section I made the only move I had. I passed two
riders (I planned to get all three!) on a downhill paved section and
challenged the leader. I knew I needed to lead the race into the woods
section but the leader held me back over the next five corners which
preceded the woods section. Then he bobbled in the first corner of the
woods section and I snuck by to lead through the trees and into the last of
the power sections. Only one rider powered past and I held onto second at
the finish.

In my opinion, I played my only card (leading in the woods) at exactly the
right time and earned my best possible finish.

Dwaine

p.s. Just so it is clear let me state for the record: The Cyclopaths
jersey was worn with reverence and witnessed the level of suffering
expected of it's bearer.


Photo by: 

No comments:

Post a Comment