Monday, August 12, 2013

The Grosslockner High Alpine Road


Author:  Jurgen Becker

 
The Grossglockner High Alpine Road (in German Großglockner-Hochalpenstraße) is a panoramic road in Austria in the state of Salzburg. It connects the state of Salzburg with the state of Carinthia

The Grossglockner (12,461 ft) is the highest mountain of Austria and the eastern Alps.  The pass road reaches 8451 ft. with a branch-off to the "Franz-Josefs-Höhe" viewpoint ( images ).

This viewpoint was my day target on a rainy Tuesday in July 2013, in the morning it was so rainy that I thought that I might have to cancel my mountain ride. After checking weather forecast, I was relieved.  Dry and maybe sunny in the afternoon.

My ride started a few miles before the toll station and after passing this station I saw the sign with 12% for 33 km.  Never in my life I did ride 12% average about 33 km.  In this moment I realized it would be an "afternoon of struggle".

I'm not sure was it really a 12% average for the entire alpine road, but one is for sure - never again will I ride a crank with 53/39 in the Alps!  I rode the whole afternoon my maximum gear of 39/28 with a cadence of 40 to 50. Many times by standing and standing again. Sometimes you reach a point where it's just not fun. I was happy to reach the viewpoint after approximately 3 hours of climbing with few breaks.

I think my photos say more than a thousand words…..


No comments:

Post a Comment