Monday, June 3, 2013

Chinook Pass Ride, June1, 2013


Written by Les Becker
At 5:05am Dwaine, who lives 3 houses from me showed up on time as usual. How could he look so bright and eager. Must have been the large coffee mug. We saw one elk past Greenwater on way to Crystal Mountain road where we parked. Brent, who was the first to respond to the email a few days prior, arrived. And in spite of hesitation in his voice on the phone the night before, Scott also rolled in, he had just seen a group of elk off the hiway. At 7:05 the four of us were riding in the cool but dry mountain air. The overcast soon yielded to sunshine and most of the ride was in 50-55 deg weather. Scott and Brent were making us work, but not too breathless to have conversation. Otherwise quiet and almost no cars. After very short stop at Cayuse continued towards Chinook. The low clouds then cleared to give us those spectacular views of Mt. Rainier. The snow banks beside the road not quite as tall as previous years, kept us cool but not cold. At Chinook we talked to some skiers and stood for some time just taking in the scenery.


 Then headed down the other side that always seems to me to never have a bottom. Eventually turned around, took off wind jackets and headed back up. Brent is training for his upcoming ride in Colorado, and I realized he is ready as I watched he and Scott fly up the mountain ahead of us. Back to the pass and met a rider who knows David and I think Rod. Descending to Cayuse the views grabbed me as I descended without gloves to get as many pictures as possible.



Scott and Brent went back to the cars while Dwaine and I road 3 miles down the back side of Cayuse to the tunnel. That was a very cold stretch. Ascending that last section back up to Cayuse reminded me of all the physical, mental and existential suffering that has taken place there on many RAMRODS (at least for me). Part way down to the cars we stopped and took a bunch of pictures again. I missed the Cyclopaths who were not there, but otherwise nothing was missing. The friendships, conversation, workout and stunning mountain views left me with a warm feeling and eager to ride again.
-Les

No comments:

Post a Comment